Tuesday, August 17, 2010

What Am I Thinking???

I've decided to run in a 1/2 Marathon in October! Yes, you heard me right! The person who doesn't run much anymore has signed up to run 13 miles!!!!

Sounds great, right? Yet, I only have less than 10 weeks to train for it. Yes, you heard that right...the same girl who is more out of shape than she's ever been in her life is running a half marathon in 68 days!!!

Between problems following knee surgery, post-pregnancy out of shapeness, and just all around laziness, I don't know how I'm going to do it. What was I thinking when I signed up for this???

Despite it all, I'm actually excited about challenging myself in a whole new way. My friend Julee (an amazing athlete) has set up a schedule to get me trained and ready for the 13 mile run in less than 10 weeks...she has more faith in me than I do ;)

So, I got new running shoes and I accomplished my first attempt at running yesterday with a 1 mile run around our neighborhood. I'm so sore!!! I will be running 1.5 miles tomorrow and then my first long run of 3 miles on Saturday. I know that sounds like it should be a piece of cake (some people run this amount on a daily basis), but it might be the end of me {grin}! Hopefully, my knee will hold up, my heart and lungs will get into shape again, and the rest of my body will cooperate with me as I embark on this new and scary running journey. Luckily, Mark is doing it with me, so it's now a family thing which makes it more fun :)

Ella went along for the ride yesterday in her jogging stroller and seemed to enjoy getting outside early in the morning before the ridiculous Texas heat got to us too bad.

I'll keep you updated on my progress as I learn to be a runner (hopefully).

post signature

1 comment:

  1. Awesome! I ran a half a looongnnngg time ago! I was out of shape and a bit heavy and hated running, but I finished it and felt SO accomplished! Enjoy the challenge of it all and best of luck! You can totally do this! :)!

    ReplyDelete