Friday, August 27, 2010

Reality Has Set In

My knee has made 1/2 Marathon training difficult! It's only been 2 weeks of training (and by training, I mean trying really hard to not pass out while jogging 2-3 miles at a ridiculously slow 15 minute/mile pace). After making it through the run, my knee is swollen and sore and pretty useless the rest of the day. When I told my Physical Therapist that I was planning to run a 1/2 marathon, he practically laughed in my face :) So, after many sessions with him, talking with Mark, and really thinking through things, I've decided that the reality of the situation is that I'm taking on too much and dealing with too much pain, so I'm no longer taking on the 1/2 Marathon!

I first need to work on regaining strength in my leg and building the supporting muscles around my knee. Hopefully after I'm stronger, the pain won't be so intense when I run, and then won't be so horribly painful after my run. So, I'm going to continue training and running (with some walking thrown in there), but I'm aiming to complete a couple 5K's in September and October and a 10K in mid-October instead of the 1/2 Marathon. Then, if my running ability improves and my knee starts to hold up better, I'll try to do the 1/2 Marathon in February.

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment