Monday, February 22, 2010

3 Week Recap

Wow! My baby girl was born three weeks ago! I can't believe it's already been that long since we were blessed with her presence, yet it also feels like she's been a part of our lives for much longer than that. I haven't been very good at staying up to date on this blog, but lack of sleep and round the clock nursing causes me to rate my priorities, which is sleep when she sleeps (or at least try to). So, instead of a play by play of each week, here are the highlights from Ella's first three weeks of life.

We had a bad run-in with jaundice during Ella's first week home. Ella's levels were so high, that we were worried she was going to have to be checked in to the hospital for phototherapy. Poor baby had to have her heel pricked for a blood test everyday for a whole week. She lost close to 10% of her body weight in less than 48 hours, became sleepy all the time, refused to nurse, and wouldn't potty (which is how you lower the bilirubin levels that cause the jaundice). We had to supplement with some formula to help her gain some weight back. After a couple days, her bilirubin started leveling out and she began to nurse more and potty frequently-all great signs that things were getting better. By the end of the week, she had put on a few more ounces and we were just nursing again. Yay!!!
My little yellow baby

On Ella's 2 week birthday, we had a small house fire! After changing her diaper, Mark walked into our bedroom to find a pillow on fire and flames leaping out of a electrical outlet. I heard him making a weird sound from the other room and went down the hall to see my husband trying to put out a fire with our new baby in his hands. I ran to get her out of the house and called the fire department. Luckily the firemen were able to put out the fire quickly and nothing but our wall and a couple pillows were damaged. It was quite the sight to see; me barefoot & only in a robe with my newborn daughter wrapped in blankets standing outside in the cold while my husband tries to put out a fire leaping from the wall without the use of a fire extinguisher. We've now had all the outlets checked for faulty wiring and should be safe from this point on :)

At Ella's 2 week appointment, she weighed in at 6 pounds, 5 ounces. Therefore, she gained over an ounce a day and had passed her birth weight (which was our goal by the 2 week mark).

Ella's first bath
Grandpa holding me for the first time (he was sick the first week)
Smiling as Daddy rocks me to sleep
Swaddled & Swinging in Daddy's arms
I love Daddy!
Mommy & Me
Sweet Kisses

Grandpa loves me! (I'm still a bit yellow, but looking better)

Nothing too exciting has happened during week 3, which is a nice change of pace. We did get to take our first walk outside yesterday because it was a beautiful 70 degree Austin day. Ella loved her carseat & stroller and slept the whole time. We took Macie to the park and just soaked in the beautiful day. I think getting out of the house is something I've needed!
Cozy in my stoller
Ready for our first walk & afternoon outside
At the park snoozing in the beautiful weather
Ella, Macie, & Mommy

We did take her in to get weighed because her feeding pattern had changed and once again, she's been gaining about an ounce and a half a day and weighed in a bit over 7 pounds. Her cheeks are starting to fill out and she doesn't look as much like a newborn. Apparently, she likes to eat!

What a crazy ride so far! I am so in love with my precious little angel and trying so hard to figure out this whole mothering thing. Parts of it come so naturally, and others are hard, overwhelming, and emotional. One minute I am in complete awe, the next filled with anxiety and worry, the next crying, the next in awe again; but it's all amazing and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

post signature

2 comments:

  1. Happy to hear Ella is doing much better. Your yellow baby is still so precious.

    Grandpa looks very content with his new granddaughter. Please let them know I said Hello.
    And my goodness you look so good. Would have never guessed you had a baby 3 weeks ago if I had seen you on the street.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jaundice and a fire...a very eventful first three weeks! Hope all is calming down. You look fantastic and Ella is precious.

    ReplyDelete